December 7, 2009

MGS Stands Strong with the NSF’s Amazing Trends in Research Doctorate Recipients for 2008

By

The National Science Foundation recently released the new trends in research doctorate recipients for 2008. From what I notice in the trends it looks like women are learning to bake the cake and eat it too! Included in this trend is the increase of minorites from 2007 earning doctorate degrees: 6,981 total (23% of the U.S. citizens and permanent residents who earned doctorates in 2008) with Asians earning the most (2,543) followed by African Americans (2,030), Hispanics (1,765), persons of multiple race (520), American Indians (123), and Native Hawaiians (96).

Here are some of the main findings:

• The 48,802 research doctorates awarded in 2008 is the highest number in the history of U.S. higher education, but growth rates have slowed in recent years .
  • Life sciences accounted for 11,088 research doctorates awarded in 2008, the largest number by broad field.
  • Women received 46% of all research doctorates awarded in 2008, the 13th consecutive year in which women received more than 40% of doctorates awarded.
  • A total of 6,981 U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are members of racial/ethnic minority groups were awarded research doctorates in 2008—23% of the U.S. citizens and permanent residents who earned research doctorates and reported race/ethnicity.
  • Of graduates with known citizenship status, 67% were U.S. citizens or permanent residents and 33% were non-U.S. citizen temporary visa holders.
  • China (including Hong Kong) was the country of origin for the largest number of non-U.S. graduates in 2008, with 4,526.
  • The median total time span from baccalaureate to doctorate among graduates was 9.4 years; median duration between starting and completing graduate school was 7.7 years.
  • These findings are very interesting and point out how far many of us have come, me included.

So what do we learn from this and where does Mayo Graduate School stand. I would like to thank Dr. Mays (IMSD program manager) for giving me this information.

From this table showing years 2004-2009, you can see that Mayo Graduate School is very competitive and only accepts a few number of students per year. The percentage of incoming URS (Under Represented Students) seems to have decreased in 2007 dramatically however increased once again to around 25% from 2004.  Whereas the percentage  of incoming women students has been pretty steady average of 56% in last 6 years, however increased about 10% from 2004 to 2009. I would like to note that the numbers from the NSF are showing graduates whereas I am showing you information from incoming students (graduate info is a little harder to get) however from 1996-2000, 80% of incoming students graduated from the program, so this table is a nice representation.

In summary, Mayo Graduate School is doing a great job at recruiting and graduating URS as well as women Ph.D candidates. Way to Go MGS!!!

Just to add some more information for those interested students who wish to apply to MGS or who are looking into Ph.D programs....Mayo has several other advantages: 3 locations (Arizona, Minnesota, and Florida), receive yearly stipend, IMSD program  , and finally great students who work together as a team!

Adios! Jess

Tags: Uncategorized

Please sign in or register to post a reply.
    Contact Us · Privacy Policy